The Cares Act stands for Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act. As the name suggests, the act aims to provide monetary benefits to the COVID-19 patients and their families. The US Congress released an amount of $2 trillion under this Act. However, to avail of the assistance provided by the government, a person must qualify the eligibility criteria. Here, in this article, the reader will get to know about the different parameters that they must fulfil to get the aid of this legislation.
Primary Eligibility Criteria William D King–
- First of all, a person must be a U.S. citizen to fall under the category of the beneficiary of the CARE Act.
- In case, a person is not a citizen of the U.S. but fulfils the requirements of being a domicile of the U.S. according to American laws then also, he can take profit from this legislation.
Other important parameters for the Application procedure-
- After the citizenship criteria, the next important requirement is to hold a valid social security number assigned by the U.S. government.
- The candidate must have a high school certificate from an approved institution.
- The candidate can be an undergraduate or postgraduate student also.
- He or she must not be in default of US federal student loans. In this scenario, the application will be straightway rejected.
- The candidate must be an average or above-average student. Anyone who has underperformed in his academics is not eligible to avail of benefits of the CARE Act.
- There is a certain loan limit set by the US government which must not be breached by the applicant.
- If the applicant is male, then he must be registered with Selective Service.
- Students learning through an all-online medium do not fall under the category of eligible candidates at all.
There are some terms and conditions attached to this scheme. People must be aware of these conditions to save time and avoid disappointment. These are:
- The funds provided under this scheme are only available for 18 months. Whereas the minimum period is 12 months.
- The amount released in the account must return to the account of the US government within a reasonable period of 30 days if the account holder is not using it.
- The providers need not prove any sort of past expenses incurred in the treatment of the COVID-19 patient.
- Any intention to commit fraud and to present duplicate or forged documents is punishable. All the paperwork involved in this process is subject to audit and hence the possibility of committing fraud and not getting caught is nil.
- The terms and conditions provided here are applicable until the provider has exhausted the number of funds given to him.
As explained by William D King, the purpose of the CARES Act is to provide support to the ailing American people. Especially the frontline warriors like doctors, medical staff, police officers, etc. COVID-19 is a tough battle and it would have been tougher in absence of these heroes. This legislation is a positive step to acknowledge the sacrifices and losses faced by the people of America. Therefore, anyone qualifying the above-mentioned criteria must register and help himself in this tough situation.