Not everyone has what it takes to run a business, but there are some common habits shared by those who do. Along with improving business success, these genius habits of entrepreneurs also help them maintain a balance between their personal and professional lives.
Why is that last bit important? Well, you may look at someone with a booming business, and think they’ve got it made. But many entrepreneurs are actually miserable below the surface. True success cannot be just about work, after all!
If you own a business or want to start one someday, adopt out these 6 habits of successful entrepreneurs now:
1. Adopt a Healthy Mindset – One of the most powerful ways to achieve success is working on your mindset. Try to think positive, set goals and refer to them often, and always be open to learning. No one gets ahead alone, so recognize and appreciate your personal support base (friends, family and community) as well as your team at work.
2. Be Productive, Not Busy – People think that successful entrepreneurs are always busy, but the best ones focus on using their time productively. Create and follow a daily routine, prioritize actions that will yield results and plan ahead for the next day, week, month and year. This can help you achieve your goals without being ‘busy’ all the time.
3. Complete Tough Tasks First – Think of procrastination as an act of self-hatred, since putting something off for now will add to your workload later. Deal with frustrating but important tasks at the start of your day. Along with getting these out of the way early, this also creates a feeling of accomplishment and makes everything else seem far easier!
4. Work on Physical Health – You really can’t be productive and happy if you’re tired, stressed and sleep-deprived all the time. Your body is a machine that needs proper maintenance in terms of regular exercise, a healthy diet and sufficient rest. Along with keeping you active, good physical health reduces stress and anxiety, which improves your productivity.
5. Set Aside Some Leisure Time – You may be tempted to dedicate all your time to your business, but taking a break is important as well. Take inspiration from Bill Gates, who cuts himself off from technology for an entire week to read books and dream. Use a travel loan to explore new places, attend conferences, spend time with family, and do whatever else you love.
6. Make Daily Improvements – Don’t expect results overnight. Instead, remember that small but consistent actions can add up over time. Make improvements every day, no matter how insignificant they may seem, and track your experiences and progress in an online or physical journal. This way, you’ll see the long-term benefits of even the smallest changes.
Smart business owners realize the need for adopting habits that help them grow both personally and professionally. Take a page out of their book and do the same!
Shiv Nanda is a financial analyst who currently lives in Bangalore (refusing to acknowledge the name change) and works with MoneyTap, India’s first app-based credit-line. Shiv is a true finance geek, and his friends love that. They always rely on him for advice on their investment choices, budgeting skills, and personal financial matters and when they want to get a loan. He has made it his life’s mission to help and educate people on various financial topics, so email him your questions at email@example.com.