The demand for laundry shop services is booming. Many people now would rather rest after work than do their laundry. However, laundry women are very hard to get nowadays and so people frequently just look for a laundry shop. You may decide to just get a franchise if you do not have the time or inclination to start a laundry on your own. However, you should ask yourself if it is worth the additional overhead, when it is quite simple to start your own.
Here are the steps in starting a laundry business:
1. Determine whether to be a commercial or a home laundry. A commercial laundry caters primarily to establishments such as lodges, hotels, restaurants, spas and hospitals; while home laundry targets individuals. You need millions of pesos to compete effectively if you want to tap the commercial laundry market, while you may be able to start with two hundred thousand pesos if you will focus on individual buyers.
2. Obtain the ideal location. You must try to be as near your market as possible. If the desired area’s rent is extremely high, you may opt to just put up a pick up station and locate your cleaning operations in a low-cost area or in your home. In this case you will need only three to five square meters. If you want to clean the clothes on-site, it will take at least twenty five square meters of floor area. The water supply must be sufficient and not full of minerals that may affect the cleaning process.
3. Register your business. If you intend to be a sole proprietor, go to DTI. For corporations or partnerships you must go to the SEC. Then register in your municipality for your business permit and then register with the BIR and have your receipts printed.
4. Choose the appropriate laundry equipment. Washing machines come in two basic types: top load or front load. The front load machine is good for heavily soiled clothing and those whose fabric is sensitive. It needs less water to operate and uses much less electricity because of this. Another advantage of front loaders is due to the faster spin during the drying cycle, the laundry is easier to dry. The main disadvantage of top load machines is their much higher price and maintenance expense. On the other hand, a top load washing machine is rougher on the clothes and is not as efficient in cleaning extremely dirty clothes. Top loaders are also noisier because of a stronger tendency to have noises due to load imbalance.
5. Offer dry cleaning services. Dry cleaning is the process of cleaning fabrics without using water. Instead of water, a liquid chemical is used. The profits in dry cleaning are usually far better than in normal laundry items. Clothes that need dry cleaning are expensive and are often for special occasions and so there is less price competition.
Laundry shops have a bright future as demand for their services will likely increase. To learn how to operate a laundry business, attend seminars on the topic. BusinessCoach, Inc., a leading business seminar provider, conducts an excellent seminar on Starting a Laundry Shop Business. You may contact them at 727-5628, 727-8860, 0915-205-0133 or visit their website www.businesscoachphil.com for details.