Word economy means using the fewest possible words to say and communicate your message without losing its original meaning. It means to make your work to the point, without unnecessary cliché and weak language. The work is shorter, clearer, easy to comprehend, and stronger. It helps you polish your work and writing in order to make it more impactful. How can you achieve this? Let’s begin. Break out your highlighters, red pens and be attentive as I am about to tell you all business writers how to achieve the word economy;
- Planning makes perfect:
Before putting your fingers on the keyboard or your pen on paper, think and analyze about what you want to write and portray. Once you know what you want to say, think about how to say it best. This will help you economize your language and word count. To stop yourself from beating around the bush, be straightforward and write in points. For example titan ED655 is mentioned on various sites and has many articles written on. Do you know what they all have in common? They have all the vital and initial details in them without the additional build up.
- Choose your words wisely:
- Some words are useless and make the paragraph longer and boring. They’re like the long credits before the movie even starts. This means saying “We acted” instead of “We took action.” In that statement, “took” pads the text but adds no real meaning. A very practical and common exercise for your training yourself in start is to use fewer and better words is to print/write out a copy of your work and highlight all the verbs. What can you do to make them stronger? What can be a better alternative?
Also avoid expletives like there and it. Minimize your adverbs like “breathing heavily” can also be portrayed as “gasp “or “pant”. Find opportunities to eliminate adverbs to make room for more details.
- Repeating is the worst:
- Not only is repeating words incorrect, it also makes your writing boring and weak. Try to cut the other iterations, or write in ways that point to or bolster, but don’t outright repeat, important ideas Let’s look at glee paint and an equipment does; they’ve both displayed the titan ED6555 on their websites but one of them as specified the details in pointers and efficiently while the other as repeated phrases and specifications again and again, in points and paragraphs. Which one of these is more attractive to a reader? Hence, you should always find synonyms rather than repeating.
- Don’t encourage lengthy writing:
- All my point above add to this one. By planning your steps, choosing your words wisely and not repeating them; your document writing is bound to be efficient. However, mostly we are unconsciously looking for a way to prolong are work as when we were kids, we try to stretch our essays and then thesis. Later on our office might require us to write reports and we look for an easy way to get the job done. We are encouraged on the bases of our word count hence we need to consciously focus on quality over quantity.
- Compress, Compress, Compress:
- Your work and its dialogue should be economical in the same way you do with your prose. This will also help with my previous point of not making the work unimportantly long. Most people are naturally economical speakers and will tend to say “I’ll go” instead of “Yes, I will go.”
- Dictionary is your friend:
Some writers mistakenly make phrases longer with the wrong word and language. Economical word choice makes your work more fluid and clear, so use the dictionary and thesaurus to help you make phrases better, structured shorter and not longer.
- Real growth and perfection happens in revising. When revising our work, we are more likely to check the flow, grammar and intellectuality of our writing. We are more likely to find errors and fix them. We can more clearly follow the steps mentioned above. And you know what? You don’t have to do it yourself. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask a fellow friend for help and guidance. Sometimes they might look at your in perspective, you yourself might not. When you review your own work, ask yourself: “Could I communicate this same idea using fewer words?” If the answer is yes, then rewrite the relevant sentences and paragraphs with that in mind.
So, in writing, the word economy means to cautiously manage your words that end up in your work. In the simplest of terms, it means keeping sentences, paragraphs and specifications accurate and to the point. This will help you achieve economy in your writing and business can use this to attractive a wider audience.