Ran out of Gravy? Follow these three easy steps on how to make an instant and an all-purpose homemade, but healthy Gravy.
* 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped into rough 1/2-inch pieces (about 1/3 cup)
* 1 small rib celery, chopped into rough 1/2-inch piece (about ½ cup)
* 1 small onion, chopped into rough 1/2-inch pieces (about ¾ cup)
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
* ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
* 1 bay leaf
* ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
* 5 whole black peppercorns
* Table salt and ground black pepper
1. For bout five 1-second beatings, pound the carrot till it is broken into roughly ¼-inch pieces. When carrot is broken, add celery and onion; pound vegetables till turned into 1/8-inch kaput pieces.
2. In a large saucepan, heat butter on a medium-high temperature; when the foam subsides, add vegetables. Stir continuously until it is cooked, softened and browned for about seven minutes. Slowly reduce heat. Stir the flour for about five minutes till it is golden browned and attained its yummy scent. Constantly beat with gradual pouring of broths and wait till it heats up. When it is boiled, cream-off any foam that shapes on its surface. Add bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns. Simmer and stir once in a while for about 20-25 minutes. Wait till it is thickened and reduced to 3cups.
3. Strain gravy and get the fine-mesh texture into clean saucepan, press the solids to extract; discard solids. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve it hot.