Eucheuma and kappaphycus spp. are red seaweed, which are considered the number export winners in the country. These species are top sources for the carrageenan substance, for food industries in the manufacture of jellies, ice cream, sauce, frozen food (ham, sausage, chocolate,etc) and other non-food products such as personal care, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, rubber products, textiles as additives.
These seaweeds are also commonly used as direct food for the locals prepared as salad with crushed green mango, tomatoes, onions & salt. Product preparation on these seaweeds resulted that it can be processed as “Seaweed Pickles” that could last for 5-9 months.
Seaweed “Kappaphycus” Pickles food composition includes Fat, Ash, Moisture, Carbohydrates, Sodium, Iron, Calcium, Sugar as Invert, and Dietary Fibers.
A. Preparationof Materials/ Utensils:
1. Preserving bottles/ containers
2. Mixing bowl
4. Chopping board
6. Measuring cups
7. Wood ladle
8. Plastic Sealer
9. Blower (ordinary)
B. Preparation of Seaweed Raw Materials
1. Drying– Dry fresh seaweeds (Eucheuma/ Kappaphycus spp. for three days under the sun until salt is seen in the surface
2. Sorting & Cleaning– after drying sort and remove clinging dirt and other foreign materials to insure 100% raw material
3. Soaking– soak dried seaweeds in fresh/ tap water overnight to remove salt. Drain. Wash with fresh water and drain again.
4. Bleaching– Dry seaweeds under the sun. If not used immediately pack it in safe packing materials free from contaminants
1. Soaking– soak bleached seaweeds in 30 min. to l hour.
2. Draining– drain the soaked seaweeds.
3. Boiling– boil the mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt & pineapple crush in a casserole for 5 to 10 minutes. Let it cool.
4. Cutting / Slicing-Cut seaweeds, carrots, onions, bell pepper & ginger into desired sizes.
5. Mixing– mix carrots, onions, bell pepper, ginger together with the cut seaweeds.
6. Packing– Arrange dry ingredients in bottles or desired preserving containers. Pour the vinegar solution and cover tightly.
7. Marketing — products are ready for local and even foreign market
• For 1 kg preparation
Estimated Cost and Return
B. Production Sales At Php30-35.00/bot/100g (10)
C. Gross Income: Php300.00 to Php350.00
D. Net Income: Php74.00 to Php90.00
E. Return Of Investment (ROI):
Heavy Syrup 26.81%
Light Syrup 34.62%