As the biggest city in Alberta Province, Calgary is one of the most amazing places to visit in Canada. It’s a friendly and relaxed destination for most international tourists who travel to experience its numerous attractions. It’s the best place you would love to visit.
Calgary is one of the most diverse and multicultural cities in Canada, with more than 120 languages spoken. However, the official languages are English and French. Calgary has several cultural centers that will help you understand the different cultures in the city.
Many people travel to Calgary for different reasons. Some travel to experience the city’s unique western culture at the Calgary Stampede while some travel to enjoy Calgary’s thriving food culture. You can also travel to experience all that the city has to offer.
All You Need to Know about Calgary before Traveling
Making an informed decision when planning for a trip to Calgary can be quite challenging when you don’t know much about the city. Here are some incredible facts about Calgary.
1. Weather and Climate of Calgary
Calgary usually experiences cold winters and warm summers. Thankfully, the city has a lot to offer during summer and winter. During winters, it’s always one of the best skiing destinations in North America. You’ll also get the chance to watch the NHL ice hockey.
During summers, Calgary is one of the most fantastic places to visit. You can spend your time in places like the Prince’s Island Park. Besides, Calgary also hosts many festivals during the summer to entertain international visitors.
2. Incredible Attractions in Calgary
It’s no doubt that most tourists visit Calgary to view its attractions, including its spectacular landscapes. Here are some of the best places you should first consider.
- Calgary Tower: This iconic tower is 191 meters tall. It provides an impressive view of Calgary City from the above. It has two observation decks that rotate to allow you to have an uninterrupted view of the entire city of Calgary. The tower also has a restaurant at the top, where you can dine while viewing the city.
- Banff National Park: If you love hiking, this will be the best place to visit. The park has spectacular mountain ranges, forests, and glaciers. It’s the best place for doing outdoor activities like biking, skiing, and hiking. It offers many recreational activities that can make your visit more enjoyable.
- Calgary Zoo: It is one of the most visited zoos in Canada. Calgary Zoo is home to thousands of animals such as mountain goats, hippos, giraffes, cougars, musk oxen, and grizzlies. You’ll also get the chance to watch Canadian Wilds exhibits. It is one of the top zoos engaged in conservational research.
- Heritage Park Historical Village: This is one of the most prominent living museums in Canada. When you visit this attraction, you will go back to the past to learn the Old West’s culture and fur trade in the 19th century. You’ll also get the chance to ride on a steam locomotive and a horse-drawn carriage.
Calgary has many other attractions, including the Scotiabank Saddledome, the Fairmont Banff Springs, Military Museum, Royal Tyrrell Museum, and the Rocky Mountains.
3. Best Time to Visit Calgary
The time to visit the city depends on the activities you intend to do during your trip. If you plan to ski, you should visit the city during the winter (November-March). To learn about the city, you can travel between April and May. When visiting in summer, you need to book accommodation in advance when the rates are still low.
4. Accommodation in Calgary
You can get the best hotels in the Downtown and Inglewood. Some of the options include the Fairmont Palliser, Le Germain Hotel, Kensington Riverside Inn, HI Hostel, Acclaim Hotel, and the Marriott Downtown. You need to book a hotel that will fulfill all your needs.
5. Eating Places in Calgary
Calgary has many restaurants and hotels that offer Canadian and International cuisines. The premier cuisine in Calgary is beef, and many restaurants can prepare it to suit your dietary needs. Some best restaurants are the Modern Steak and the Vintage Chophouse.
Whether you are visiting Calgary to view its beautiful attractions or experience its culture, there is no doubt you will need the Canadian currency. So, you should buy the CAD at a company like KnightsbridgeFX Calgary. The company provides the lowest and consistent bank-beating rates to help you save hundreds of dollars from your currency exchange.