Banana fruit is a horticultural commodity that can be processed and preserved to expand its marketing value. Various processed banana products have already been developed, such as, sun-dried banana and banana crispy. A new product with a potential commercial value is the banana flour made from fresh and ripe banana.
Processing of Banana Flour
* Unripe but old banana var. Kepok; ripe and old for other varieties.
* Plastic pail
* Plastic dryer rack
* Remove banana fruits from the bunch.
* Steam for about 10 minutes to decrease sticky sap, improve the flour color, and facilitate the peeling process.
* Peel and then slice into small pieces.
* Soak in 5% citric acid for about 30 minutes, then drain.
* Sun-dry on the plastic rack, until 10% moisture content is achieved.
* Mill and sift.
* Package and store in a closed, dry place.
Benefits of Banana Flour
Banana flour can be used as a mixture material for various cakes/breads (wet and dry cakes), and for infant feeding. Banana flour contains low gluten, so it could not be used as the main cake material. Therefore, to produce high quality cake, banana flour must be mixed with wheat flour.
According to a study in the Journal of Food Science, published by the Institute of Food Technologists, supplementing pasta with unripe banana flour may be a healthy addition since banana flour contains antioxidants and fiber.
Cooperating agency for this topic:
South Kalimantan Assessment Institute for Agricultural Technology
Source: FFTC agnet.org, ift.org
Do you like this business idea? then please consider subscribing to our PINOY BISNES RSS feed. You can also subscribe by email and have new articles sent directly to your inbox. (Once you entered your e-mail address, you need to login to your e-mail account and click the link to confirm your subscription).
Related Search Terms: banana flour, how to make banana flour, banana flour processing, banana flour making, banana flour production, banana peelings as flour, banana peel as flour, banana as flour