Everyone is familiar with the cookies and doughnuts or candy bars shredded with coconut flakes. They are among the sweetmeats most popular among schoolchildren and the sweet-toothed.
The coconut flakes are actually dessicated coconut shredded through a special process from the dried fish kernel of coconuts. They are low in fatty acid content, but high in carbohydrates and protein.
Dessicated coconut actually come in various cuts and has a variety applications. The regular cuts are extra fine, medium granular cut, macaroons, flake, chip, long thread and rice cut.
Application varies depending on the cut.
Dessicated coconut, most commonly called sapal in Filipino, can regularly be used as ingredient in usual table fare. Here are some recipes which the Technology Resource Center has compiled for homemakers to prepare for their families. The enterprising can also make them the base of a small coco-based catering business.
Coco Sapal Biscuit
2 cups flour
2 cups sapal
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
Procedure on how to make Coco Sapal Biscuit:
1. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
2. Add vanilla to water and mix well.
3. Cream the shortening.
4. Add flour mixture alternately with vanilla and sapal, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. Form into the desired shapes.
6. Bake at moderate heat for 10-15 minutes.
1/2 cup sapal
1/2 teaspoon MSG
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kinchay
1/4 teaspoon refined salt
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup flour
2 cups oil for frying
Procedure on how to make Coco Burger:
1. Mix sapal, garlic, black pepper, chopped onion, salt, and MSG.
2. Add soy sauce, chopped kinchay and egg. Mix thoroughly.
3. Little by little at a time, add flour to the mixture.
4. Form into patties.
5. Fry in deep fat.
6. Drain off excess oil.
7. Serve hot with catsup.
Coco Sapal Balls
2 cups sapal
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon MSG or vetsin
1/4 cup chopped carrots and red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Procedure on how to make Coco Sapal Balls:
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Form into balls.
Coconut Ice Cream
400 ml evaporated milk
400 ml condensed milk
400 ml coconut milk
5 ml almond extract
shredded coconut, to decorate
Procedure on how to make Coconut Ice Cream:
1. Mix together the three different milk types in a large freezer-proof bowl and stir in the nutmeg and almond essence.
2. Chill in a freezer for an 2 hours. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture with an electric whisk until it is fluffy.
3. Pour into a freezer container, then cover and freeze. recipe from craftycrafty.tv
Do you like this Money Making Business Idea? then please consider subscribing to our Pinoy Bisnes RSS feed. You can also subscribe by email and have new articles sent directly to your inbox. (Once you entered your e-mail address, you need to login to your e-mail account and click the link to confirm your subscription).