Macapuno, a “mutant coconut”, is a variety of Philippine coconut palm that does not contain water inside but instead it is completely filled with thick and curdled white meat. The “meat” of the macapuno coconut is widely used for making popular sweets like macapuno jam, macapuno candy, macapuno ice cream, and macapuno preserves. It is also used in flavoring our favorite ice creams, fruit salad and halo-halo.
Macapuno Candy Balls
4 cans (300 ml) condensed milk
2 cups macapuno (mutant coconuts) preserves
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
How to make Macapuno balls:
* Add condensed milk to macapuno preserves. Cook in low heat. Halfway, remove from heat, add cornstarch (dissolved in a little water).
* Blend well, then, continue cooking while stirring constantly. Cook until it thickens and mixture separates from pan. Cool.
Note: When using bottled preserves, before shaping into balls, set aside cooked mixture for 4-5 hours (or overnight), covered with a cheese cloth. This would present your balls from becoming watery in a short time.
Macapuno Jam / Macapuno Preserve
How to make macapuno preserve
* Cut open the coconut and discard the oily portion. Scrape the meat and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
* Drain. Cook in enough syrup of two parts sugar and one part water.
* Cook the macapuno until it gets transparent.
* Pour while hot in 12-ounces preserving jars.
* Half-seal and sterilize jars for 25 minutes in boiling water.
* Seal completely.
Do you like this Money making business idea? then please consider subscribing to our RSS feed and have new business ideas sent directly to your inbox.